I thought it was time to give an outline of what is going to happen over the next few years. At the start of the Project I weighed in at 417 pounds (measured at the medical clinic) and my goal is to become fit and healthy. I haven’t set a target but BMI suggests that is should be around 185. To get there I have decided to train for an Olympic triathlon at the end of 3 years (2018). My target weight loss is 1 pound a week, a pace that I feel is reasonable.
The FAT Project Goals are:
- to document in rigorous and honest detail the journey of a 400lb+ man to better fitness and health;
- to inspire others on a journey to better fitness -> that ‘better’ is truly attainable; and
- to reduce the stigma of being fat, reclaim the word and debunk myths about fat people.
Aspects of the Project:
- I am undertaking a medically supervised approach. I have partnered with a local medical clinic and plan on capturing some meetings and interviews on film. I will be seeing a dietician, nutritionist and a doctor, with an option of exercise and physical support.
- The FAT Project is partnered with RoadWest Pictures, a local film production company to capture the high-quality moments and opportunities that occur during the project.
- I am working with WildPR, to promote and engage the media for project support.
- Seeking opportunities to partner with trainers to get physically ready for the next 3 years.
- My wife will be doing most of the menu planning and cooking. She will post our weekly menus and may share recipes at the #fatkitchen.
- Many friends and colleagues have offered support on different aspects of the project, I will be taking them up on opportunities for exercise, activity and fun.
My own tasks:
- I will Eat well to promote health and weight loss.
- I will begin exercising more frequently and train in preparation for the triathlon in 2018.
- I will work with the doctor to find the best medically advised path to health.
- I will photograph everything I eat until the Project is over and share the photos on Instagram, 3-6 times a day.
- I will share videos of my progress.
- I will share Facebook and Twitter posts highlighting special aspects of the Project on a regular basis.
- I will update www.fatproject.ca also known as www.fat.community on a regular basis.
- I will share my experience through speaking engagements and interviews about the Project.
It has begun, I am four day in…including Canadian Thanksgiving. I am feeling good, things are feeling easy right now as they have during previous weight loss experiences. I look forward to the journey.